About Me

My photo
EDUCATION: Holt High School, Holt Mich., Lansing Community College, Southwestern Theological Seminary, National Apostolic Bible College. MINISTERIAL EXPERIENCE: 51 years of pastoral experience, 11 churches in Arizona, New Mexico and Florida. Missionary work in Costa Rica. Bishop of the Districts of New Mexico and Florida for the Apostolic Assembly. Taught at the Apostolic Bible College of Florida and the Apostolic Bible College of Arizona. Served as President of the Florida Apostolic Bible College. Served as Secretary of Education in Arizona and New Mexico. EDUCACIÓN: Holt High School, Holt Michigan, Lansing Community College, Seminario Teológico Southwestern, Colegio Bíblico Nacional. EXPERIENCIA MINISTERIAL: 51 años de experiencia pastoral, 11 iglesias en los estados de Arizona, Nuevo México y la Florida. Trabajo misionera en Costa Rica. Obispo de la Asamblea Apostólica en los distritos de Nuevo México y La Florida. He enseñado en el Colegio Bíblico Apostólico de la Florida y el Colegio Bíblico Apostólico de Arizona. Presidente del Colegio Bíblico de la Florida. Secretario de Educación en los distritos de Nuevo México y Arizona.

Monday, September 8, 2014

CONTENTMENT


Philippians 4:11-13: “Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: everywhere and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.”


Our attitude and our state of mind have a great effect on our health. Our attitude towards ourselves, our attitude toward life, our relationships with other people have a powerful effect on our physical life as well as our emotional life. Fear, resentment, anxieties, a lack of purpose in life can be just as detrimental to our health.

We must remember that Paul was in prison when he wrote this epistle. He was probably chained to a guard on either side of him 24 hours a day. And it was in this setting that he says, “I have learned to be content.”

WHAT CONTENTMENT IS NOT

To understand what contentment is, it’s easier to understand by seeing what discontentment is. Every time we complain, every time we grumble, every time we express our envy and our jealousy, we’re expressing discontentment. Discontentment is when you are unhappy with your present circumstances, when you have an uneasy state of mind because of the things that are happening in your life.

IS CONTENTMENT BEING HAPPY WITH EVERYTHING?

Is contentment saying, “I’m happy about what’s happening in my life”? Is contentment liking my present circumstances? Not necessarily. That’s not exactly what Paul was talking about in this scripture. Contentment is not being stoic. To control your mind that suffering and pain no longer come to your consciousness. The Eastern mystics, can sleep on a bed of nails, or can walk over a bed of hot coals and feel nothing; they have so suppressed their thought process about it. Paul is not telling us to be numb to suffering.

Nor do we have to learn to like everything that’s happening in our lives. I don't think Paul liked being in prison. We are not expected to look at our burdens or our difficulties or our problems and say, “I like this.” There are those who say, “You have to praise God for all things.” I don't think Paul is saying that.

Nor is he telling us that we must settle for those things in our lives that are less than they ought to be. Paul had a lot of incompleteness and a lot of imperfections in his life, he was not saying, “Well, I'm just going to settle for that.” There were things in his life to which Paul expressed a great deal of discontentment. He said, “I press on; I have not yet achieved.”

WHAT IS REAL CONTENTMENT?

Contentment is knowing that you have all you need for the present circumstances. In verse 11, Paul did not say he liked being hungry. I like being in want. I like being in difficult circumstances.” He does not say that at all. What he is saying is that “Though I may not like it, I know I have from God what it’s going to take to measure up to these present circumstances. “I can cope with it”. “I can handle it.”

Nothing upsets me more quickly than when my computer doesn’t work. I can be patient with a lot of things. If the few things that I know don’t fix the problem then I don't have the foggiest idea of what to do. Therefore, when my computer won’t work, I am extremely discontented. But, why am I discontented? I am discontented because I don't know what to do to fix the problem. I don't know how to deal with the situation. I can't cope with it.

But, if someone was to come to me with something I know how to do, I have a great deal of contentment then, because I'm confident I can handle it. In one situation, I can cope with it; in the other situation I can’t. In one situation I measure up to it, I know what to do and in the other situation I’m lost. I don't know what to do. 

Contentment is taking your present situation, whatever obstacle you are facing, whatever limitation you are living with, whatever chronic condition wears you down, whatever has smashed your dreams, whatever factors and circumstances in life tend to push you under, and saying in the middle of it, “I don't like it,” but never saying, “I can't cope with it.” The Word of God says: “I can do all things through Christ who straightens me.”

II Cor. 4:7-9: “But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed.” You may feel distress, but you may never feel despair. You may feel pressed down, but you may never feel defeated. There are unlimited resources available to us in God. But, as soon as you say “I can't cope,” you are failing to draw on these unlimited resources. Contentment is being confident you measure up to any test you are facing because of the resources of strength that Christ has made available to you, that’s contentment.

HOW CAN I ACHIEVE CONTENTMENT?

It doesn't come natural. The apostle Paul tells us that it has to be learned. “I have learned to be content.” Life is a school. It is a classroom. I've had to wrestle hard and it is only through the long process of living and wrestling with difficulties in life that I have come to the point of realizing I am content. It is a process, and I practice it all my days. The biggest reason why God allows these difficulties to come into our lives is because it’s through the process of wrestling with them down in the valley that we learn what this kind of contentment is all about.

I have discovered in my 40 years of pastoring that most people live the greater part of their lives in the valley. But, do you know what great truth I discover? “That the God of the mountains is also the God of the Valleys!(I Kings 20:22-29) Draw close to God. Get as close to Him as you possibly can. And you will find that it is in drawing close to Him that all His strength will be made available to you. No matter what the valley, no matter how deep it is, you can make the best of it. And you can grow through it.

If everything else changes, Yet the Lord does not change. If the sources of all other joy are dried up, God’s joy is never ending. The Bible tells us in Nehemiah 8:10 “for the joy of the LORD is your strength”. When you come to the Lord in sincere faith you will find joy, strength and most of all hope that things will get better. Hope is the desire for something good with the anticipation of receiving it. If God has placed a hope in your heart, don't give it up, and don't surrender it, no matter what your circumstances might be.

Many people live without hope for the future. Somehow they cannot believe that God loves them and has a purpose for their life. It does not matter what pain or impossible circumstances you may be facing, God will replace your despair with a great sense of hope. One common mistake that many people make is to measure God’s love for them by their circumstances.

You will make mistakes, but He will take your failures every time and turn them into something good for you. Why? Because He is a God who knows exactly what you need, He knows when you need it and He will be there to provide it. Why don't you ask Him now to help you?


No comments:

Post a Comment